If you don't know it... well, you should : ) and you can just look up.
I fell in love with the idea of this verse when it was spoken over me before I got my very first teaching job. As some of you remember, during those first 2 years, a portion of my day was spent at the ALE (Alternative Learning Environment) facility in my district. Which is ironic because it is FILLED with kids who are poor, needy, destitute, and devoid of love among other things. So, this verse has since been a huge motivator for what I do and why I do it.
But the story from today is what gave me a heart check. I will give you a quick synopsis as to what went down in my classroom. There were some cuss words, some other disrespectful words, and ended with the student walking out of my classroom before it was time. FYI: The cuss/disrespectful words did not come from my mouth. I by the grace of God remained very calm.
Now, I will say that because of the particular student... my heart took this really hard. It was very personal. I have been told over and over by older and much wiser teachers than myself that I can not take the way these kids treat me personally. It usually has nothing to do with me. I will start by saying I completely agree... to an extent. But for me, this job IS personal. These kids are personal. I care and Lord knows why, but I love them. It is not and never will be solely about the content that I am teaching in my classroom. I want so badly for them to rise above their situation, whatever it may be, and be the men and women, mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, family members, friends, employees, HUMAN BEINGS that HE has called them and created them to be. I am in this to see and be a part of a revolution among our nations high school students that I am 100% confident is on it's way. Que: End of soap box.
Matthew 5: 14-16
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. "
1 comment:
I love that you care about your job!! That you take seriously the calling involved in being a teacher.
I recently watched that documentary, Waiting for Superman. It's a great movie highlighting the PARAMOUNT role of good, quality teachers as cultural transformers.
I'm thankful to be friends with one such "good teacher!"
Love ya!
Post a Comment