Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh Webster....


I have a new love in my life. His name is Webster and I love his work, so honest and straight forward. I am going through random books of the B.I.B.L.E with a friend named Kelsey. She is 19 and loves Jesus way more than I did at 19 and I respect her. It is good for me because it encourages me to be a better "elder" for her and others. Because I am old and turning a quarter of a century. (that is a whole other post in itself)

James 4:7 says "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
How many times have I heard this? Approximately 400,573 times. The difference this time is that I was using my dear love Webster to get the truth out of words I have heard thousands of times.
Submit- to commit to the discretion or decision of another.
Resist- to FIGHT against

So this verse that I have heard so many times before finally makes sense to my heart. He is not saying stay away from evil... avoid it at all costs, run far far away. He is saying stand up and FIGHT against the schemes of the enemy and commit and TRUST your whole life and everything in it to Jesus. Knowing that His decision and plan is better than anything we could hope or imagine. THEN you will come near to God and He will come near to you. (vs. 8)

That's all...
p.s. Lyd I hope you enjoy the new colors since you told me I was boring! and the shout outs.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Love, love, love this post. Thank you, Erin, thank you Webster, and thank you very much, Holy Spirit!!!!

The Family said...

Well spoken my sister. I love it! Such a simple difference in the word and it changes everything. Don't just run away, stand up and fight. I love your words!
lyd

Anonymous said...

Erin,

It's Jenni (Lorah) Quirk from NLR! I saw your comment on Katie's blog so I thought I'd say hello! I hope you're doing wonderfully!